Sunday, May 27, 2012

Renegade Miniatures Confederate Infantry Officer

Two posts in one day is unheard of for me here, but as I was using a rebel colour palette to do the dismounts in the previous post, I opened up a package of Renegade Miniatures Rebels (Skirmish 01) and dug out this officer to give him a test paint. I also sorely more single based Rebel officers for Terrible Sharpe Sword skirmish gaming.

At first, because his hat is so big and so low over his face, I wasn't going to give him eyes, but I relented at the last minute and I think it was the right decision. I like the somewhat staring look, it goes with the set of his mouth (yelling a battle cry? screaming orders to keep the line straight as the shells come in?) and it reminds me of one of Secundus' excellent caricatures at Iron Mitten.

The tunic is medium gray with a black wash and then drybrushed in two lighter shades of gray. I find I am moving away from drybrushing and using a layered effect more and more frequently, as I like the precision it allows, but here I think the drybrush is ok.

I quite enjoyed painting this fellow, and I'm looking forward to getting the rest of that box onto the painting table. However, some unruly Irish chaps, shouting Erin Go Bragh or something like it, pushed their way on first, claiming seniority in the lead mountain, and they are destined to be the second regiment in my Irish Brigade project.

A rare view of a Confederate back.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent!! Lovely painted Reb officer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice fig, Padre. Looks like some of my Louisana relatives. As for the Irish, what you probably heard from their little metal throats was "Faugh a Ballagh!" ("Clear the way!"), The Irish Brigade's battle cry. Best clear some space, else the boyos will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray and Fran!

      John, it was hard to tell what they were shouting, I thought at first it was "more Guinness!" but it was hard to be sure. Fortunately I have a Fr. Corby figure already painted to keep the boyos civl and well behaved.

      Delete
  3. Looking really nice, I agree that layer painting is more precise but for most cloth/fabrics, especially historical, a drybrush looks okay. Also when you complement drybrushing with carefully painted details as well (like here with the epaulettes, eyes, sash) it brings the model together nicely. I don't fancy many of my figures would stand up to the same level of zoomed-in scrutiny as well as this fellow does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Colonel. When one paints as few figure at a time as I do, one can occasionally get away the odd macro photo, but the camera lens is pretty merciless, isn't it? Usually for large batches of figures, especially as you say historicals, I will paint and then drybrush the largest uniform item and and then add the fine details on top of it (belts, weapons, flesh), using a lighter shade of the uniform colour to repain any errors as a final step.

      Delete
  4. Nice work MP.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers