Thursday, December 11, 2014

Foundry ACW Union Dismounted Cavalry

Sorry, couldn’t think of a more imaginative title for this post.
While I have yet to get on the scoreboard of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge V, I did get finally get these fellows finished.  I bought a mess of these figures a few years ago and finished most of them, but I had nine left over and partly finished, but I made a hash of their faces and got discouraged, so they got packed away for the last move.   I’ve been in a finishing projects mood lately, so here they are, painted and based.  Pardon the crap basement lighting, I wasn’t in the mood to haul out my lightbox and set it up.



I like the young blond lad on the left, shouting something rude at Johnny Reb.



“Sarge, are we ‘uns going to get hung out to dry agin while the rest of the Army takes its sweet time to git up here?"



Basically the same pose X 9, but the little variations in the heads and the fact that a few have bandanas give them some variety.  You’ll note that I wasn’t brave enough to try and paint crossed sabres and numbers on their kepis. When I was in reenacting, there was a school of thought that veteran troops would lose all that nonsense as quickly as possible, which is certainly good counsel for this painter.  It was nerve-wracking enough just doing the collar piping and the sergeant’s chevrons!



These three stands give me a total of eight stands of dismounted cavalry, which gives me a respectable force for either a skirmish or a regimental level game.



“Boys, we’re going to hold this hill till the rest of the army comes up.”  “See, Sarge, whadid I tell ya?”  “Shaddup, Perkins."
Hey, that’s a nice looking table.  I should fight a battle on it!



Thanks for looking.  Now, on to my first Challenge entry.  
These figures bring my 2014 totals to:
28mm Mounted: 13, 28mm Foot: 64, 28mm Artillery: 2; 28mm terrain pieces: 10 (counting that woods base from a recent post).
20mm Foot: 33, 20mm Artillery: 2, 20mm Vehicles: 2, 20mm Terrain Pieces: 2
15mm Vehicles: 5, 15mm Foot: 26, 15mm Terrain Pieces: 3
6mm Foot:  120, 6mm vehicles: 4, 6mm Terrain Pieces: 2
Kilometres Run: 1,063
Thesis Pages Written:  24

10 comments:

  1. Listen to Perkins! He knows the score!
    Nicely done, Padre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Padre. Not sure about that Perkins fella though - not sure if he has the right stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perkins is a bit of a reedy cove. Probably a bounty man or a substitute.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! I really like that young fellow on the left of the second picture. Looks like he has a black eye so maybe some bar brawl before the battle? Must have been a hard ride to come to the battlefield in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha Love the commentry. Great looking troops you've got done there Michael! Job Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done, Padre. 1) Yes, you should have a game on that great terrain. 2) Lighting is fine to show off this well executed job and 3) Perkins will be fine once there's a whiff of cordite in the air and training kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great end result and a lovely looking table too.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers