Thursday, December 4, 2014

Not Quite Birnam Wood ...

but quite possibly done by a dunce Inane.  

Some of you bright sparks chimed in at the end of October when I showed off some trees that I had made using some twigs found in a garden bed.   Nice trees, some of you (I’m looking at you, Archduke P) said, but they need to be put together in twos or threes, or maybe as a bunch to convey the sense of a large wood that would be suitable either for my LOTR or my ACW figures.

So, through November, I mulled it over, and then cut out a piece of MDF and chopped five holes in it using the smallest circular drill but I have.

Then applied my usual SOP for basing - plastic wood mixed with model railroad ballast, painted dark umbra and successfully dry brushed with yellow ochre and whatever I have to hand that’s lighter (current favourite is a craft paint called maple tan).  Then flocking and whatever I have handy - some twigs to represent a fallen tree, foliage clumps and plants, a rock made from hydrocal and a mould found years ago in a model railroad store.

Like Birnam Wood in the Scottish play, the trees draw near ...

… and take up position in their new homes.  The advantage of this approach is that I can take the trees out, put everything in a plastic tote, and transport it for a game or for the inevitable next military move (still a few left to go in my career).

Legolas inspects the wood and decides it’s good to shoot out of.

Closeup of the breathtaking degree of detail.  I used to hang out with some model railroad guys I got to know through a parishioner and they were always inspiring.  I think they might approve.

Thanks for looking.  This is one project I can call finished before the Painting Challenge starts tomorrow.  A few others are close to being done.   Hopefully this wood will feature in an ACW game coming here soon.

Thanks for looking.  Cheers!

MP+

16 comments:

  1. Legolas isn't going to get very far hiding behind one of those trees though (to say nothing of climbing it to sing an Elvish song)!

    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I wouldn't award much of a cover bonus for hiding behind those spindly little trees. Although I have the evidence of the film Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to suggest that one can run along the tops of thin bendy trees, which is something I could see Legolas doing. :)

      Delete
  2. Wot, me? Me... wot? Wot? Not quite what I had in mind, Michael, but pretty close. Actually, not so much as 'close' as considerably beyond! The woodland detritus and clumps of wildflowers do add a little something. I would suggest that this is a fairly 'open' wood - not too much of an obstacle to movement or combat. Something a bit thicker - the Wilderness, say - might be indicated by 8 or 10 trees in the same space - or, possibly preferably, four or five trees in about half the space.

    I know. Like Major Harman, I am a wicked man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ion. I would agree that it is light wood,definitely not the Wilderness, but I wanted something that I could bases in. Perhaps if I want to call it heavy wood I can toss some lichen in for the game?
      Major Harman may have been a wicked man, but he knew how to get mules moving. :)

      Delete
  3. Nicely done indeed! After all trees have been known to move as well as speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Ross. As my friend James knows, I would dearly love some Ents.

      Delete
  4. They looks fantastic. I'm wondering if something similar could be done with these funky movement trays you can get these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Dunno why you couldn't do something similar with one of those trendy sabot bases.

      Delete
    2. I fully intend to do something similar with some of those trendy sabot bases simply because I don't have access to a power drill with circular bits, not a place to use it if I had. I shall have a talk with the fine folks at Warbases.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on the base. That's exactly the sing that was missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sir. Glad you think it's an improvement - I am well content. :)

      Delete
  6. They look great based like that- the woodland floor details makes it look much more realistic.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent connection to one of my favourite plays. ;-)
    And a very nice result as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fine wood, which reminds me I must get on and finish basing some trees.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers