Sunday, December 28, 2014

Peter Pig 15mm Fleeing Civilians

In my last post I showed off some of the good things I received from friends as gifts.  Part of the pleasure of Christmas is also giving, and as part of the Santa Clause project, I got a recipient who wanted some of the refugee models done by Peter Pig.  These castings might be suitable for any year of the Second World War and almost any setting.   I choose a pack with a pair of men pushing handcarts and eight walking civilians, a gentleman with two suitcases, a mother holding an infant, and a mother holding the hand of a young child.  Here are they are fleeing as German forces advance  - perhaps we are somewhere near Arnhem judging by that Tiger1 in the background?

 The handcart models are quite cleverly done.  You get two different loads, the wheels are separate to the body, and with a little drilling with a pin vice the handles of the cart go through the hands of the chap pushing it.  I did one in red to suggest that it was taken to the town market or perhaps pushed around by a street vendor, and the other one as a working farm cart.

 Bases are by 4Ground, with just a little flocking.

 My priming work obscured a little of the detail on some of the faces, I hope the recipient won’t hold that against me.  The last base reminds me of the final scene of A Bridge Two Far, where Lawrence Olivier and Liv Ullman and her children are moving through an empty countryside as the final credits start to roll.

 

 

So as the year ends, I will count these as 12 15mm foot figures and 2 15mm vehicles, for my own totals and for the VisLardica painting challenge.  They won’t count for the Analogue challenge, but that doesn’t worry me, I’m not overly invested in that project, and am merely content that I got these figures to their new home by Christmas.

I have a few more projects I think I can get done before the end of the year.  Blessings to your brushes!

These figures bring my 2014 totals to:

28mm Mounted: 13, 28mm Foot: 85, 28mm Artillery: 2; 28mm terrain pieces: 10 (counting that woods base from a recent post).

20mm Foot: 33, 20mm Artillery: 2, 20mm Vehicles: 2, 20mm Terrain Pieces: 2

15mm Vehicles: 7, 15mm Foot: 38, 15mm Terrain Pieces: 3

6mm Foot:  120, 6mm vehicles: 4, 6mm Terrain Pieces: 2

Kilometres Run: 1095

Thesis Pages Written:  24


17 comments:

  1. Well done, and Merry Christmas(tide)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parson, and nice to see you visiting here. Same to you and the dogs.

      Delete
  2. Interesting selection of models by your recipient, Michael. Any idea how he plans to use them in a game?
    With only a few days remaining in 2014, what are your painting goals in these few, short days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan.
      I'm honestly not sure what the gif tee's plans for them are. I personally wouldn't see a use for them except for a diorama, but as he is a reader of this blog, I'll let him chime in if he wishes.
      For the remained of this year, I have five more 15mm Plastic Soldier Co T34s to bring me up to a full company that are almost complete save for the turret slogans, if I can manage the Cyrllic in brushstrokes. I have ten 28mm Front Rank Russian SYW dragoons that are 65% complete but I think they may have to wait for their debut until the new year, and the same for a handful of pulp chaps. After that, i really think I need a plan for 2015.

      Delete
    2. Civilians pop up in my games from time to time. Typically they get in the way and make a nuisance of themselves. I have done games where fleeing troops are trying to cover the withdrawal of the civilians. There are lots of creative uses for them. Plus they are fantastic figures. Well done Padre.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, Chris. I look forward toe eyeing what creative uses you find for them. I couldn't imagine a better home for them.

      Delete
  3. Interesting and unusual topic - and a timely reminder of who really pays for war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree, Ion. As I painted these figures, I kept thinking of how many Syrians are living in refugee camps today, not to mention Palestinians, Libyans, Sudanese, etc. It's a part of war that goes back to the beginning of conflict. Who at Christmas can hear the story of Mary and Joseph taking the infant Jesus to Egypt to escape Herod without thinking of the holy family as refugees?

      Delete
  4. We need civilian for any game, it brings nice addition to any table and better realism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cedric, I agree. Hope all's well there in HK and that things are getting back to normal.

      Delete
  5. Could see a fun use for these in custom scenarios, etc. Even Flames of War could offer that type avenue I think.

    I like them very much Mike, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are nice. I've seen them on the PP website and wondered about them. Btw I reckon that you are running about 4k for every figure painted and 10 figures painted for each page of thesis. Good luck with that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me I have some interesting Peter Pig figures I need to get painted. Good tally of work accomplished. Should include "Hosted awesome diplomacy game" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers