Thursday, May 19, 2016

Meanwhile, In Isengard

Back in November, His Grace the Duke of Tragardland sent me a very kind gift of some GW LOTR figures.   These were the real thing, proper metal models and not the overpriced plastic crap that GW now sells online, but that’s another story.

Included in the package were some Isengard archers, sculpted to resemble the raiding party in the second SPJ movie that captures Merry and Pippin.  Here are the snooty fellows, repainted to fit in with the rest of my force.

And some chasey chaps to run in front.  I like how the Duke had done some mods on these fellows, giving the one in the middle a giant war hammer and putting a crossbow on the back of the fellow on the right.

While I was working on this group, I finished two more plastic GW Warg Riders for Saruman’s stables.  Here are Cyril and Gervaise.

 

Graduating class, Advanced Course in Raiding and Rapine, ISCA (Isengard School of Combat Arns) Serial 16-1.

With these reinforcements swelling the ranks of Isengard, it’s a good thing that Rohan is looking to its defences.   Somewhere in the EastMark, this watch tower is being constructed.  Rohan archer and Catbeast of Mordor shown for scale.

Many thanks again, Alan my friend, for this kind gift. I still have some chaps from that lot to finish.

These figures bring my 2016 totals to:

28mm:  Foot Figures: 48; Mounted Figures: 5; Buildings: 2; Terrain Features: 4

6mm:  Mounted figures:  36;  Buildings:  2

18 comments:

  1. I have already sent you an email about this, Padre, but for anyone else: 8 hours to go on this KS. I am getting the Mercs because they look like they will fit nicely with my Uruk forces.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/403197699/28mm-white-metal-fantasy-miniatures-tabletop-2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I forgot to add:lovely paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thomas and thank you for the suggestion of the Kickstarter. They do look like nice figures and I would like some of the mercs at some point. I just spent far too much getting some nearly OOP GW LOTR figures so I am tapped out at present.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking orcs and good to see an ambitious scratch build should be great.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. I can't take all the credit for the scratch build as I am following a pattern that appeared in a White Dwarf about a decade ago, when GW was pushing the LOTR minis. It is a fun project to be sure.

      Delete
  4. Nifty looking figures, Michael. As painted, they look quite menacing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonathan. I am sure they prefer being called menacing to being called nice. :)

      Delete
  5. Splendid additions Padre and I like the look of the watchtower, best of luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many thanks, Michael. The watchtower will be crucial to spectacular casualties. To paraphrase Laurie Anderson, we better build a watchtower here, otherwise, what will the characters fall off of?

      Delete
  6. Excellent work. The Watch tower will be great when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Simon. The roof and the thatch go on tonight, I am hoping.

      Delete
  7. Very nice addition to your collection indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing additions to your Orc Horde! Especially like the troops of Isengard with their white hand war-paint.

    The tower looks like a very interesting build so far. I like how you've gotten some of the classic Film Rohirrim horse imagery in there already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mate. The face paint is just a guess as to how it should look. I am still waiting for my copies of Osprey's Armies of Isengard 1 book. :) I agree, the curved horse heads are lovely.

      Delete
  9. Very nice painting & GW over priced _ never 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle. GW figures are a bargain, said nobody, ever.

      Delete
  10. Look forward to seeing them in action and also seeing the interesting looking watchtower proceed.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Alan, I am quite enjoying your kind gift of nasty orcses.

      Delete

Blog Archive

Followers