Friday, December 30, 2016

Meanwhile in Isengard 4 - Or, Some Vendel Barbarian Archers

I think this is my final post of the year in terms of things what I got painted. These rude and scruffy archers are another step towards finishing the batch of Vendel fantasy figures that I ordered early this fall.  I started with 12 spearmen in October, with the plan of using them as proxy figures for Saruman’s barbarous allies from the hills of Dunland.

 

With 12 bowmen, the Dunlendings now have some missile capability.   The sculptor give them very primitive looking short bows, so I wouldn’t rate them overly highly as missile troops, but in Dragon Rampant terms I would allow them to work as scouts in groups of 6, with the skirmish and evade capability.

I am sure that there are a lot of fleas under those furs and skins.

I have been thinking lately of whether, at least in Dragon Rampant terms, barbarians and wild tribesmen types should be 6 or 12 figure units.  Six figure units are more brittle, and they increase the chance of failing an activation turn early and messing up a turn, since there are more units to activate.   It would seem to make sense that troops like these would prefer to fight in small bands, hunting or raiding, whereas larger 12 figure units would need some sort of formal training as a battle line - thus showing the advantages and disadvantages of trained vs irregular units.  The trained bands are used to moving and fighting as a mass, have more endurance to casualties,  and require fewer activation rolls for the army as a whole, but can be outmaneuvered and damaged by small irregular units if they get to strike first.   I need to give this some more thought.

Here Saruman urges his new hires to get to the archery range and practice their shooting before going up against Helm’s Deep.

Finally, among the figures just finished at year’s end, is this figure from Bombshell Miniatures, described in their catalogue as  “Thorga the Half Orc” and shown here in two crap photos.  Perhaps Saruman can use her as his close protection detail?  She will also make a useful and unusual command figure for the armies of Isengard.

 

I think I’ll save the other figures nearing completion for my 2017 totals.  I wish you and yours all the very best in the new year.   Thank you for all the views and support that you’ve expressed here for my lovely bride.  She has read your comments and has been quite moved by them.

Blessings,  MP

These figures bring my 2016 totals to:

28mm:  Foot Figures: 128; Mounted Figures: 10; Buildings: 3; Terrain Features: 2

20mm:  Buildings: 1

6mm:  Mounted figures:  36;  Buildings:  2


21 comments:

  1. Fantastic!

    I'd go with a 12 figure unit of Bellicose foot for the spear and 6 figure units of Scouts for the archers.

    Happy New Year, Padre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim and a happy new year to you and yours as well. I am going to try your DR recipe in a game tonight.

      Delete
  2. I love the scruffy additions to the collection Michael, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. All the best to Clan Awdry in the year to come.

      Delete
  3. Wild things you make our heart sing!
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. They are indeed quite wild. I am not sure they are going to want to stay in their assigned storage box!

      Delete
  4. I am partway through listening to an non-abridged (ie full length) audio book of the LOTR (roughly 48 hours in all) Just finished listening to the attack on Helm's Deep, where the Dunlendings played a major role. I really don't need this sort of provocation on top of that! (not gaming LOTR, not gaming LOTR, Not.......)

    May 2017 bring the two of you peace, joy and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ross. Keep telling that mantra to yourself. Mind you, it would be an awesome use for your Prince Valiant figures ....
      Best to you my friend.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year to you and your family good sir! Enjoy using your Half Orc Bodyguard and the Dunlending scouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, same to you. Thogra is already in talks about a record deal ... I think she has her eyes on bigger things.

      Delete
  6. Oh I like the half orc bodyguard, I didn't think they were that decorative!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain.
      Normally orcs aren't that decorative. However, if you don't swipe her the right way on Tinder, she'll cut you.

      Delete
  7. Happy new year, Michael! Despite everything else going on, you've had a really productive year - included so many terrific blog posts. I very much like the idea of Thorga the Half-Orc - never mind close protection to Saruman, I could certainly do with her help on my daily commute into London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Sidney. In the midst of a rough year, painting, blogging, and most importantly the support of people like yourself kept me going.
      I am sure that Thorga would do well in the City ... probably doing investment banking and security for visiting foreign oligarchs.

      Delete
  8. Great fional painting splash this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito ... I finished the year on a good note, I think.
      Best to you and yours!

      Delete
  9. Fleas or not, they all look great Mike.

    All the best for the new year mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul, same to you. You had a great modelling year and I am sorry I didn't frequent your blog as much as I should have.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I like to think of them as Furry Rejects!

      Delete
  11. I really like those beardy buggers. They fit the image of the hilltribes well in my mind.

    Hope your New Year was restful and as pleasant as can be mate.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers